Friday, March 9, 2012

It Is Official!

I have been waiting for several months to write this post. I am so excited to share that I have committed to adopt. Of course, there are no guarantees in international adoption and as a friend and faithful adoption advocate found out last year, you never know when you may hear, "we're sorry, we (child's home country) gave your referral to someone else". Oh, how I cried the day I read that the little girl they had loved and prayed for over what was nearly a year would never be theirs. (It is not my place to share their business, but I will say they ended up with a different beautiful child in a most unexpected way, so praise God for the happy, but bittersweet ending He blessed them with.) Because of their experience, in the back of my mind, there is the knowledge of that possibility. But, I know that God led me to this point for a reason. The day that I sent my initial application to the placing agency, I told God, "if my application is accepted, I will commit to her, and I will remain committed until her country turns me away or she comes home." So, as things progress, I will hope as the Psalmist wrote, "But I will hope continually, And will praise You yet more and more" (Psalm 71:14 NKJV). Sometimes I have to remind myself at each turn that He has carried me through this process to a beautiful child, to a great rental property suitable for a growing family, and to a dedicated home study agency with supportive and loving workers whose collective goal is to live out their faith in Christ by working tirelessly to place children with families in accordance with James 1:27.

While there have been some roller coaster moments throughout the early stages of this process, I find that I am more often at the crest enjoying a beautiful view of the future than hurtling downhill awaiting frightening and unexpected turns.

Yesterday evening I posted on Facebook a link to a photo with the heading, "please 'like' this photo so she will win." In the photo, a very lovely Down Syndrome teenaged girl in a beautiful gown was beaming. That's something I never thought I would ever look forward to. I was content with a house full of boys. Last night, For a few moments, I considered that one day that may be me, a mother with a lovely young lady looking like a princess. I am reminded of an old television advertising slogan that touted that the best things come to those who wait. I have a small boy at home eagerly awaiting a sister (a sibling his own age) who is learning patience along with me. The big boys are a great encouragement and support.

Stay with us as we cling to the truth of Psalm 27:14. We look forward to sharing with you the excitement and anticipation that comes from waiting on the Lord. Hold on, little girl! We are coming for you


14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are praying for your whole family and for beautiful Oksana!! I am so excited to watch your adoption journey and please know our adoption journey was VERY uncommon - there are no guarantees - but it is a pretty safe bet that Miss Oksana is just a matter of months from coming home. We miss 'our' Claire - we always will - but we know that God used our journey to her to bring us to our Ruby. We pray for your journey xo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right down the street from you in Collegeville!! I have adopted internationally before and have a 2 yo daughter with down syndrome. If i can be of any help to you please let me know. Praying for you! ksseitz@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kimberly. Hopefully we can meet! I'm so glad you are along for this ride. :)

      Delete
  4. Batya, I cannot check the links from where I am and have no opportunity to research the information you have posted. How other people handle their adoptions is unrelated to my own situation, and those of others who have adopted successfully, raised and nurtured orphaned children in a manner true to the beliefs to which they ascribed. While I cannot speak to the validity of your claims, I agree that it is tragic to think that things like that happen. RR is not responsible for the actions of the adoptive parents. They advocate for children. The screening agencies who provide home study and evaluation for adopting parents are what determines fitness. It would be more appropriate to question the quality of those workers. Though it is unfortunate that these tragedies have occurred, it is unfair to negate the hundreds of others placed successfully. No, Jesus would not condone these tragedies. They are unrelated to my situation and countless others that have been successful. In regard to my posting of a photo of a child I have "no legal claim to", the photo is already on a public website. If the country of origin did not allow the posting, there would be security measures in place. I trust that you have posted a comment here out of your love and concern for helpless children and please feel free to follow along to watch this adoption story unfold in a positive, God-glorifying manner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on finding your Daughter! Please, don't let the "naysayers? get you down. I suspect that "Batya" is actually an adoptive Mom, who has 2 sons with DS. She likes to spread rumors and is hurtful. And, you are not the first to be attacked by her.
    Hugs ~ Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard I am not the first. I am sad for people who have lost their joy or have never had it. Thank you for your kind words. :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you, Susan! I'd love to have you follow along with me in this journey. Thank you so much for your prayers and your kind post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear ... I see that Batya has been here, too ... spreading her not-so-nice words around. If you google her "name" which I am sure is made up, you will see that she is traveling the internet, jumping between adoption blogs, looking for the next place to strike. So sad. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama D... It's okay. Just hateful words.

      John 15:1-3 says that the world hated Jesus first and that when they hate us it is really Him they are hating.

      I know God led me to Oksana. To God be the glory- He will bring her home.

      Thank you for your encouraging words. Please visit again. ;)

      Delete
  8. Hey there! Just wanted to say that I have been praying for sweet Oksana for over a year now... I am so excited that she has a mom coming for her!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth!! That means so much to know she is so loved. I loved her when first I saw her in Nov 10. Now I am finally working to bring her home. God is so good!! Please keep praying and come back again!!

      Delete
  9. Susan, please email me. I'd like to keep in touch and I went to your blog. You have prayed so much for my Oksana and I have been moved to tears thinking about the time you have put in. I'd like to show you her bedroom... I think you might be pleased. :)

    ReplyDelete