Saturday, June 30, 2012

Fundraising for an adoption is wrong...

Someone asked today, "what do you say when someone tells you it is wrong to fundraise for an adoption?"

You can't really tell those people anything. You have to know that what you are doing is right, that it is what God commands us to do. Fundraising for an adoption is allowing other people to hear about and consider that there are human beings left abandoned through no fault of their own who need love and care. If they don't want to be part of the blessing, that is on them. God doesn't want us to do this by ourselves. He gets no glory that way. As he opens the hearts of onlookers, we find we raise funds in unimaginable ways, ways for which only He is the explanation. He gets the glory. People give to causes they care about... Homeless people, PETA, the zoo, the museum, Toys for Tots... Personally, I think PETA is ridiculous (I don't mean to offend anyone) because I like meat and gravy with my potatoes... But I'm not going to tell people it's wrong to raise money to otherwise treat animals humanely. People throw a fit when the nation has a fundraiser for Haiti, Indonesia, or Japan when natural disasters hit. They say we should help America first. Why are only Americans people? (FYI-I am not anti-American ... I'm in the military and love our country.)

I am, however, pro-Bible. Redemption is for everyone, in every nation. When we work together to meet human needs, we show them what redemption looks like. I want to be a part of that because I am so grateful for my own redemption through Christ. That is why I am adopting, that is why I am fundraising for adoption and that is why I contribute to other people's adoptions even while I am trying to raise funds. God doesn't need our money, he needs our hearts to be softened and willing.

Maybe, just maybe, their question about "why fundraise for an adoption" will give the opportunity to share the gospel of Christ. And maybe that is just why God prompted that person to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment