During the settling in there have also been visits with the social worker to complete my updated home study. The final clearance arrived tonight and all that remains is receipt of the approval from USCIS (immigration) before I can travel. Well, that and the remaining funding required.
In other related news, I heard from an AWANA leader in an English-speaking church in the boys' home country. I had been looking for translated resources in hopes that I could find an AWANA book to share with the older boy when I go to visit. We are very involved in AWANA at home and thought it would be fun to share a little of what we do here with them. The Baptist church in the capital city has three Sparks books and the first of the T&T books translated and printed. They will have them for me when I arrive there. What a great day this has been in the adoption world! It is starting to feel a little more real again. I am finding it is much like a second pregnancy- remembering along the way little milestones I had forgotten, suddenly facing what is the exciting and scary reality that I am about to be a mother to two new children. I think, "oh, yes! I remember this now! I thought I would never feel that way again."
But, here I am, waiting on The Lord as each step approaches in His time.
I have made friends over the last year or so who didn't get to follow along with Oksana's adoption. Many have asked about the cost breakdown for the adoption and what more I am required to raise. I thought I would share the cost list here for anyone interested.
The foreign fee is $11,000. Before I began the adoption process with Oksana, I thought the foreign fee went to the country. It actually goes to the agency in the country where the children live and covers the translation of all of my documents, transportation in country, the fees for the translator to accompany me for visits and business and the filing of all of my court documents. The best news is that the $11,000-fee covers both children. In addition to that, the fee to USCIS to file my approval is $895. Unfortunately, because Russia is not a Hague convention country, the approval I received previously is not acceptable. Apparently it requires a different form. Lastly, a plane ticket and visa to Eastern Europe and hotel costs remain ($2500-3500). Currently, my adoption account stands at $6,000. To make my first trip to meet the boys and take care of the adoption business I must have those fees. Remaining fees due for trip two include another $2500-3000 for my travel, a plane ticket for each of the boys (approx. $2000) and their passports and visas.
Will you commit to pray for our family and the boys as they wait? Pray for the Baptist church in their country. They are too far from where the boys are to do much directly with them, but the resources they are providing to me are invaluable. Pray for their work and ministry to their community. Pray that God will lead the right people to provide the needed funds in accordance with His timing and that our hearts will wait patiently for it all to come together as He wills.
Thank you for hanging in on this journey. It has been a long one with many unexpected turns. I appreciate that you are still with me and look forward to sharing with you the remainder of this chapter of our adoption journey.
Anyone interested in following the fund-raising progress may do so. There is an account tally on the Reece's Rainbow website. If you or someone you know is interested in making a donation, it may be done at the following link: http://reecesrainbow.org/30039/sponsorjohnson-2